Monuments and other heritage


Santa Clara-a-Velha Monastery

The archaeological site (from the 14th to the 17th centuries) was founded in 1283 by D. Mor Dias. The monastery was rebuilt by Master Domingos Domingues from 1316 onwards, at the order of Queen Isabel of Aragon, and is in Gothic style. The archaeological works done in 1995 in the half-buried church and its surrounding areas uncovered the cloister and many archaeological treasures, which are showcased in the new interpretation centre.


Rua das Parreiras

GPS: 40.201174, -8.431609

T (+351) 239 801 160

... |

Opening Hours:

Apr to Sept: Tue to Sun: 10am-7pm

Oct to Mar: Tue to Sun: 10am-6pm

Closed: Mon, 1 Jan and 25 Dec


Monastery of Santa Clara–a–Nova

Baroque building from the 17th and 18th centuries. It features a gilded altarpiece in the chancel with a crystal urn trimmed in silver with the remains of Queen Santa Isabel. Her primitive tomb, in stone, was sculptured by Master Pêro in 1330. Cloister built in 1733 by Carlos Mardel.


Alto de Santa Clara

GPS: 40.20379, -8.43591

T (+351) 239 441 674

... |

Opening Hours:

Nov to Feb: Mon to Fri: 9am-6.45pm Sat, Sun and Public Holidays: 9am-6pm Mar to

Oct: Mon to Sat: 8.30am-7pm Sun and Public Holidays: 9am-7pm



New Cathedral

Founded by the Jesuits in 1598. Its façade was built in two styles: the first one is Classical and the second one is Baroque. Its altarpiece, in gilded woodcarvings from the late 17th century, was done by Jerónimo Luís, who was also the author of the sculpture work in the altarpieces in the transept. The choir-stall in 17th century Blackwood is from the Sé Velha (Old Cathedral). Other features include the neoclassical church organ from the 18th century and the Manueline baptismal font, also from the Old Cathedral.


Largo da Sé Nova

GPS: 40.209338, -8.424572

T (+351) 239 823 138


Opening Hours: 8.30am-6.30pm



Sé Velha (Old Cathedral)

Romanesque façade dating back to 1162 and a Gothic cloister, the oldest in Portugal. Fascinating sculptures and lying statues from the 12th, 14th and 16th centuries. Two chapels – Sacrament Saint Peter – both from the 16th century, the first one built by João de Ruão and the second one by Nicolau de Chanterenne. The 16th century “Especiosa” (beautiful) door is the work of João de Ruão.


Largo da Sé Velha - Rua do Norte, 4

GPS: 40.209338, -8.424572

T (+351) 239 825 273

... |

Opening Hours:

Summer: 10am-6pm

Winter: Mon to Sat: 10am-6pm Sunday: 1pm-6pm


Church of the Santa Cruz Monastery

Founded in 1131 by the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine. Chapter room and main body of the chapel, from the second half of the 16th century, by Master Diogo de Boutaca. Tombs of King Afonso Henriques and Sancho I, with the lying statues by Nicolau de Chanterenne. Pulpit by Nicolau de Chanterenne, from 1521. Baroque organ from 1719/1724, by the French engraver, Lorete. Mannerist sacristy built between 1622 and 1624, featuring paintings by Grão Vasco and Cristóvão de Figueiredo. Manueline cloister from 1517. Portal by Diogo de Castilho dating back to 1523 and sculptures by João de Ruão and Nicolau de Chanterenne. The triumphal arch dates back to the early 19th century and was done by José de Couto.


Praça 8 de Maio

GPS: 40.211008, -8.428946

T (+351) 239 822 941


Opening Hours:

Mon to Fri: 9am-5pm Saturday: 9am-12.30pm | 2pm-5pm

Sun and Public Holidays: 4pm-5pm

National Holiday: 9am-12.30pm


Church of São Tiago

Romanesque church from the last quarter of the 12th century. Main altar featuring an altarpiece in the Coimbra Rococo style, originally from the Church of São João de Almedina.


Praça do Comércio

GPS: 40.209291, -8.429284

T (+351) 969 209 895

Opening Hours: 8am-8pm (except August)



Church of São Bartolomeu

Founded in the 10th century and rebuilt in the 18th century in the Baroque style.


Rua dos Esteireiros,1

GPS: 40.208351, -8.422641

T (+351) 239 825 154 | 917 662 162


Opening Hours:

Mon to Sat: 8am-12am | 2pm-5pm

Sun and Public Holidays: 8am-12am


Royal Brotherhood of Senhor dos Passos of the Our Lady of Grace Church

Founded by King João III in 1543 and integrated in the Graça College. Mannerist altarpiece with images depicting the life of the Virgin Mary and the Calvary, by Baltasar Gomes Figueira, father of Josefa de Óbidos. Renaissance cloister (1548) by Diogo Castilho.


Rua da Sofia

GPS: 40.213333, -8.431111

T (+351) 239 820 576

Opening Hours:

Mon to Fri: 8.30am-11:45am | 2.30pm-6pm

Saturday: 8.30am-11:45am | 4pm-6pm



Monastery of Celas

Gothic building founded in 1210. Romanesque-Gothic cloister with 13th-14th century capitals.


Rua Manso Preto

GPS: 40.215170, -8.412086

T (+351) 239 484 058 | 239 711 992

Opening Hours: Working Days: 3pm-5pm


Church of Saint Anthony of Olivais

Although the church was renovated in the 18th century, it already existed as a convent in the 13th century. Saint Anthony joined the church in 1220. Main altar in Baroque gilded woodcarvings and a painting by Pasquale Parente depicting Our Lady of Conception. The tiled panels on the life of Saint Anthony are from the first half of the 18th century.


Rua Brigadeiro Correia Cardoso, 18

GPS: 40.217919, -8.404440

T (+351) 239 711 992 | 239 713 938


Opening Hours: 8am-7.30pm


Portugal dos Pequenitos (Child-sized theme park)


Saint Mark’s Palace

It features fascinating Portuguese tombstone art from the 15th and 16th centuries. Chancel in the Manueline style by Diogo de Castilho (1522/1523) with a Renaissance altarpiece by Nicolau de Chanterenne. Chapel of the Three Wise Men from 1547, a masterpiece in the Coimbra Mannerist style.


Palácio de São Marcos

Rua Dom Duarte Nuno | Zouparia do Campo | São Silvestre

GPS: 40.243611, -8.549722

T (+351) 239 952 029

... |

Visits must be booked in advance.




Monumental Heritage of Santiago da Guarda



Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy

Rua Dr. Santos Silva | Varziela

GPS: 40.368659, -8.623485

T (+351) 231 420 798

Opening Hours:

Tue to Fri: 10am-12.30pm | 2pm-6pm

Sat and Sunday: 10am-12.30pm | 2pm-6pm

Closed: Monday


Figueira da Foz

Casa do Paço House

Largo Prof. Victor Guerra, 3/4

GPS: 40.149062, -8.859437

T (+351) 966 913 607 | 233 430 103


Opening Hours Tue to Saturday: 10am-5pm Closed: Mon, Sun and Public Holidays


Figueiró dos Vinhos

Parish Church of Figueiró dos Vinhos

Praça da República

GPS: 39.902175, -8.275344

T (+351) 236 552 178 (Tourist Office) | 236 552 461 (Parish House)

Opening Hours:

Mon to Sat: 8am-5pm Sunday: 10am-5pm



Parish Church

Rua da Igreja

GPS: 40.153504, -8, 110674

T (+351) 235 770 113


Visits must be booked in advance.





Lousã Castle


Santo António da Neve

Once the ice factory that supplied the Portuguese Royal Court, it is formed by the Chapel of Santo António da Neve (17th century) and by seven wells of the former ice factory (18th century).


GPS: 40.063224, -8.177900


Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Piedade (Our Lady of Pity)

It consists of 4 hermitage chapels: Our Lady Comforter of the Afflicted; Saint John’s (15th century); Lord of the Agony (19th century) and Our Lady of Pity (18th century).


GPS: 40.100440, -8.234545




Buçaco National Forest

Casino de Luso

Rua Emídio Navarro, Alameda do Casino

GPS: 40.383724, -8.376594

T (+351) 231 937 400

... |

Opening Hours:

Tue to Fri: 10am-1pm | 2pm-5pm

Closed: Mon, Sat, Sun and Public Holidays



Parish Church of Mira

Church in the religious 19th century Baroque style built in 1690 by order of Bishop D. João de Melo. It underwent a thorough reform in the 19th century, and again in 1972 and 1981.


Praça da República

GPS: 40.428050, -8.736380



Miranda do Corvo

Monastery of Santa Maria de Semide

The monastery, initially inhabited by monks, was first documented in 1154. In 1183 it was established as a convent for nuns. In the 16th century, the Cistercian nuns attempted to refurbish the convent. Note the 16th century lower cloister and the church from the late 17th century. The coffered ceiling of the chancel is decorated with depictions of the life of Saint Benedict. The gilded woodcarvings of the main altarpiece are one of the features of this church.


The exterior portal reflects the Baroque style and boasts a medallion with the image of Saint Benedict and the coat-of-arms of the Order surrounded by fin-shaped elements.


EN 171 | Semide

GPS: 40.158354, -8.335718

T (+351) 239 540 140


Sanctuary of Divino Senhor da Serra

Built on the site of an old hermitage, already documented in the 17th century, the current sanctuary is a famous pilgrimage site; it was designed by António Augusto Gonçalves. Aesthetically, it reflects the revival period lived at the end of the 19th century. The main altarpiece is inspired by the altarpiece of the Old Cathedral of Coimbra, and its side sections were brought from the Church of Mercy in Coimbra.


Rua D. Manuel Bastos Pina | Senhor da Serra - Semide

GPS: 40.154072, -8.345074

T (+351) 239 549 276




Montemor Castle


Oliveira do Hospital

Roman Ruins of Bobadela

Mozarabic Church of São Pedro de Lourosa

What is interesting about this church that dates back to the early 20th century is its Mozarabic style that combines elements of the Christian and Arab cultures. The belfry and graves dug into the rocks in the churchyard are worthy of note. A visit with a twist… if you want to visit the church, you have to ring the church’s bell.



GPS: 40.316876, -7.931995

T (+351) 238 677 126



Lorvão Monastery

Although some authors believe it was built in the 7th century, it probably dates back to when Coimbra was first reconquered in 878. After the hermit monks of Saint Augustine, came the Benedictine monks in mid-11th century. In 1200, the monastery changed hands and was taken over by the Cistercian Order, at the time as a nun convent. Princess D. Teresa, daughter of King Sancho I lived and died here (1250) and is buried, along with her sister D. Sancha, in urns made by the Porto goldsmith Manuel Carneiro da Silva, in 1714. One of the many architectural reforms took place in the Baroque period at a time when the cult to the Infantas (princesses) became official. Particularly worthy of note is its 18th century gilded woodcarvings and the choir-stall in the low choir, in rosewood and mahogany, decorated with the figures of martyr saints surrounded by leaves.



GPS: 40.259665, -8.317820

T (+351) 918 216 726

Summer Hours - Tue to Sun: 9am-12am | 2pm-6.30pm

Winter Hours - Tue to Sun: 9am-12am | 2pm-5.30pm


Parish Church of Penacova

Rua Abel Rodrigues da Costa

GPS: 40.270594, -8.281395

T (+351) 239 477 413

... |
Opening Hours: 8.30am-1pm




Penela Castle| Germanelo Castle

Pedra da Ferida Waterfall


Parish Church of Rabaçal

Its current architecture dates back to the late 18th century. Of note, inside: Neoclassical 17th century gilded woodcarvings and images of Saint Dominique and Saint Theresa (17th century).


Rua da Igreja | Rabaçal

GPS: 40.032564, -8.455179

T (+351) 917 619 201



Parish Church of Espinhal

Built in the second half of the 15th century. Its patron saint is Saint Sebastian.


Largo D. Luís de Alarcão | Espinhal

GPS: 40.012637, -8.349568

T (+351) 917 619 201




Soure Castle


Parish Church of S. Tiago (Saint James)

Built by order of King Manuel I, it was completed in 1490. Inside it features beautiful sculptures of Our Lady of Finisterre (1508) and Saint James, offered by King Manuel I in 1409.


Praça Miguel Bombarda

GPS: 40.057927, -8.625672

T (+351) 239 502 226

Opening Hours: 9am-4:30pm




Parish Church of Tábua

Dedicated to Saint Mary Major, the church was built in the 19th century to replace a previous temple that had collapsed. Altarpieces from the 17th and 18th centuries.


Largo Senhor dos Milagres

GPS: 40.361225, -8.032838

T (+351) 235 412 156

Opening Hours: 8am-7pm


Chapel of Our Lord of Miracles

The chapel was built in the 18th century and has a high octagonal main section and a rectangular section, the latter covering the chancel and sacristy. It has three doors, the main one decorated with imitations of pilasters and corbels with a four-lobed eye-window on top. It contains the statues of the Lord of Miracles, Saint Joseph and Our Lady of Pity.


Largo Senhor dos Milagres

GPS: 40.361457, -8.032331

T (+351) 235 412 156

Opening Hours: 8am-7pm



Vila Nova de Poiares

Parish Church of Vila Nova de Poiares

Dedicated to Saint Andrew Santo André, this church features a tower and its sundial, dated 1744. Of note, inside: the main altarpiece from the 17th century.


Largo da República

GPS: 40.210409, -8.258783

T (+351) 966 486 440


Opening Hours: 9am-7pm


Parish Church of Saint Michael of Poiares

Façade with two towers and a niche with a limestone statue of Saint Michael. The gilded altarpieces inside are worthy of note.


São Miguel

GPS: 40.212702, -8.226773

T (+351) 966 486 440



Back to list